Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The nuances of shame?

I haven't updated this blog in too long. I just haven't wanted to write about any of the important things that have taken place lately, but perhaps I should.

See, I had my very first, what wound up being a "one night" stand with a date I had earlier this month, and even though I know it's a foolish double standard to hold myself to, I cannot help being quite ashamed. Even though I'm no longer religious, I can't help but feel... as if I need to hold myself to that same standard I had for myself when I was.

Moreover, I started to write a post about the nuances of shame, and found myself getting nowhere. The absurdity of the shame I feel has been written about several times before -- no, I don't need to write a lengthy post about how crazy it is for me to feel so ashamed for something that, well, at the time, was a lot of fun.

Do I regret engaging in the experience?

In one word, yes. Moreover, I think my feeling of regret is warranted in this case. But it's important to distinguish between feeling shame -- which is entirely uncalled for -- and feeling regret, a feeling foreign to me...

1 comment:

EerieErik said...

If you had a good time then try and remember it fondly. But if bad things come of this, then learn from your mistake.

Post a Comment