Haven't posted much lately because, well, nothing new or profound has really been happening. I've been focused on scoring this job at Sears in downtown Saint Paul, but get this: I go in for two interviews, both of the managers are super impressed with me and hire me right after the second interview -- contingent on a drug test and background check.
So I'm thinking, okay, no problem. Haven't smoked in well over a month, and no criminal history, this should be easy...
Not so.
Apparently, the background check pulls up a trespassing conviction from 2003! So, the manager in human resources at Sears calls to inform of this, and requests that I come in to fill out a detailed statement explaining why I have this on my record.
"Trespassing conviction? 2003? Are you fucking kidding with me?" I think. How am I supposed to explain something I don't even remember?!
Well, long story short, I rack my brain for several days trying to recall a trespassing charge from 2003, and after I'm convinced this must be some kind of mistake, early one morning, the incident for which I was convicted for trespassing suddenly dawns upon me. I'll summarize:
See, back in 2003, much to my embarrassment, my politics were to the left of figures like Noam Chomsky and Michael Moore. Thus, it should go without saying that I was virulently antiwar. So much so that I joined up with an antiwar group and committed civil disobedience along with around fifty other anti-war protestors in Minneapolis (at the government center, I believe).
And I had totally even forgotten that such a thing had even transpired!
No comments:
Post a Comment