But if one good thing came from my inability to rest, it's that, after spending all that time ruminating on how the status quo became what it is, I finally figure it out. That is, I can explain Gavin's seemingly abrupt loss of interest in me with a simple equation which goes like this:
- Conspiracy theorists are always convinced that they are somehow privy to "the truth" that everyone else is just too "brain washed", blind, or unintelligent enough to see. It's just part of the whole conspiracy theorist minded mentality -- it's literally part and parcel of ever believing that you are part of an elite minority of chosen folks that are, for whatever reason, more intelligent than the rest of us low lives that feed from the trough of lies that the "main stream" media feed us like the cattle we are.
- I need to emphasize just how much of an elitist ideology this really is, although if I were to ever try and present him with logical, well reasoned arguments that were clearly indicative of the gross logical fallacy he's been making, he would only get extremely angry and write me off right then and there.
- Finally, my conclusion: although at the moment I'm unsure what exactly served as a trigger for his recent detachment from and anger towards me, I must have said something that only affirmed his belief that I'm a "brain washed" American whose patriotism has blinded her to ever being able to see "the truth" (which, we must remember, I can only be privy to should a member of an "elite" minority of hyper-intelligent people choose to impart upon me their infinite wisdom).
An utterly disgusting and close minded belief system is exactly what it is. It's sickening how he can believe such crap.
To quote something Liam explained to me tonight, I think he put it rather succinctly:
People who do this are, I find, not particularly reflective, or at least have not analyzed their beliefs carefully in light of what else they know. (That's very common, of course; look at how people accept science and religion simultaneously, as if they were not contradictory explanations for the world.) I would opine that people who hold these beliefs have either not realized their significance or meaning, or have not questioned them by reference to their lived experience (i.e., your having Jewish friends).
No comments:
Post a Comment